How do I change the name and address attached to my NI number?

(UK relevant – Who needs to know when I change my name, or move house, or if my marital status changes?)

It is important to keep the name, address and, in the case of a woman, her marital status up-to-date to ensure that Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) can contact you in connection with National Insurance contributions and State Pension matters.

You can inform HMRC of the changes by writing to your nearest Jobcentre Plus officeSocial Security Agency office in Northern Ireland or HMRC office, giving details of the changes and, if you have one, returning your old NI number card.

More FAQs Related to National Insurance Numbers
Why does my employer keep pressuring me to provide my National Insurance number?
What is the significance of the letters at the beginning and at the end of my NI number?
I want to get a second job. Do I need a different NI number for each job?
How do I get a National Insurance Number?
How do I find my deceased relative´s NI number?

PrintFriendly and PDF

Bookmark and Share

Search – Payroll Help

Social Media

Payroll Update 2013