E-Mail Confirmation of the National Insurance NumberMonday, September 10th, 2012
If anyone had mislaid, could not find it or did not have their National Insurance Number, assuming that they had been issued one in the first place, the individual could contact the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0845 915 7006. HMRC would strive to provide this information over the telephone. Where it could not be found, form CA5403 would need to be completed. This service should not be used for new Number registrations for people over 20 years old.
The telephone service is still available.
On 05 September 2012, HMRC enhanced this service and made form CA5403 available for online completion. Also, this service can be used to advise HMRC of a change of name and / or address information.
An individual is required to complete the following information on the online CA5403, some of which is mandatory. This will ensure that the form, when submitted, can be matched to the correct person on the HMRC’s National Insurance and PAYE Service (NPS):
- Why do you need written confirmation of the Number?
- Starting work
- Starting a business
- Applying for a Student Loan
- Making a claim for State benefits
- Written confirmation required
- Who has asked for the written confirmation?
- Personal details:
- E-Mail address
- NI Number, if known
- Full name
- Previous name
- Present address, postcode and country
- Date you moved to the address
- Contact telephone details
- Previous address 1 and 2
- Dates from and to in these addresses
- Marriage of Civil Partnership details
- Dates (to and from)
- Name changes, if applicable
- Previous employer 1, 2 and 3 details
- Child Benefit claim details
- Other benefit details
At a time when employers need to pay particular attention to the quality and completeness of the data in their payroll systems, along comes this handy tool. Name, address and National Insurance Number are all essential matching data items for Real Time Information, therefore, maybe this facility should be publicised internally.
Remember, it is for the employee’s use only.