Questions from our Payroll ForumMonday, February 27th, 2012
The following is a selection of questions that have been posted to our Forum over the past week. Can you contribute to any of the discussions?………….
- Our company, registered in Scotland with the head office in Scotland has received a summons under the Attachment of Earnings Act 1971, which covers England and Wales only. Should this summons have been served in person rather than through the post plus, could we have declined to operate the Order in the first instance?
- Can a salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme allow an employee’s salary to drop below National Minimum Wage?
- Is the P38(S) worth the bother?
- For the Basic Earnings Assessment and a mid-year starter, do we look at actual salary to be earned or pro-rata salary?
- What is the value to be declared on the P11D for a cycle that is transferred to the employee after a salary sacrifice has taken place?
- I have an employee that has left without returning his cycle that was under a salary sacrifice scheme? What value is declared as a benefit?
- A director received a loan which he is paying back over 9 months. Does this need to be declared?
- How will RTI deal with negative adjustments?
- Is anyone aware of a benefit of using a company that offers to get tax refunds for our employees? They are charging 41% of the refund as a fee.
- Are we able to return an original sick note to an employee who needs it for his insurance company?
- Is there any difference in calculating SMP in the Republic of Ireland in comparison to the UK?
- Can someone refer me to a good source who would be able to look at the processes necessary to pay someone in Antarctica?
- Do I take Student Loan deductions from a redundancy payment?
- An employee was two payrolls that I operate. He has now died and I have been given differing dates of death by differing Personnel Departments. Is it OK to send two different dates of death for the same employee, albeit on different payroll numbers?
- I wondered if there was anything to consider when paying redundancy payments based on the normal week’s pay, rather than the statutory amount – is it all considered to be tax free to the limit of £30k?
- Can we withhold a P45 from a leaver who owes the company money?
- An employee has applied for voluntary redundancy whilst she is on maternity leave. Do I calculate the length of her service up to the end of maternity leave?
- We recently acquired a business and have now received a letter from HMRC claiming that there is an underpayment of NICs going back 20 years. We do not have these payroll records. Has anyone any experience of what to do?