Questions from our Forum 20/06/11Saturday, June 18th, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
My client has recently reimbursed an employee for an EasyJet ticket [£185] which the employee could not take up, as the employer required him to postpone his holiday at the last minute and work. The payment was made via the company petty cash.
Is the reimbursement taxable / Niable via payroll, a P11D item, or non-taxable and NI-able?
Further questions from our forum:
- An employee left mid-month unexpectedly and was overpaid. Can the two days outstanding holiday pay be offset against the overpayment?
- A P11D entry gives a negative value. Should this be entered as £nil? Can the negative amount be used to increase the employee’s tax code?
- Some employees were transferred under TUPE at week 48 of 2010/11. The new employer pays a month in arrears and the first payment is month 1 of 2011/12. Who should complete their P60s?
- How much notice to leave must I give if the contract does not explain?
- How do we go about submitting P46(Car) forms online?
- The employer wishes to recover sick pay now that an employee has been paid compensation for loss of earnings following an accident. How do we recover the net amount of sick pay, or can we recover the gross amount?
- Do we apply a Certificate of Age Exception with a mid-month date by calculating NICs in one way for half the month and another way for the rest of the month?
- A manager is voluntarily moving to live near a construction site instead of travelling and staying away all week. We want to make a voluntary payment as his move is saving us money. Is the payment taxable?
- Should KIT days be paid for at the time or when the employee returns to work?