Questions from our Forum 06/06/11Friday, June 3rd, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
An employee has been off since January and keeps forwarding Polish sick notes. I spoke to the person who said he had bronchitus, but this seems to me to be a long time to be off with such a complaint.
Do I have to pay SSP as I do not understand what the sick note says.
Further questions from our forum:
- An employee’s fit note proposes a return to work for one day each week. How is SSP calculated for the other days?
- Our employee’s argue that the advisory fuel rates are too low. How do we make a case to HMRC for calculating our own scale rates? If we go on using HMRC’s rates, can employees claim tax relief?
- An employee gives notice to leave but the employer asks her to leave immediately. What are the notice pay requirements?
- If an employee claims a mileage payment in this tax year that should have been claimed in the last tax year, does the 40P or 45p allowance apply?
- An employee who is tax exempt in the UK has paid withholding tax while working in South Africa? Can it be reclaimed?
- Can payslips be issued to part-timers after they have been paid when they are next at work?
- If an employee with a company-provided Blackberry pays for private usage, does it have to be reported on PllD?
- If an employee has “bought” extra holiday in a flex scheme, can any unused holiday at termination be refunded and, if so, what are the tax and NICs issues?
- If employees buy their company car, can the net book value be used as the market value? If the cars were sold back to the supplier and the employees buy the car from the supplier, does that make a difference?
- When employees are transferred under TUPE, should be given Part 1A of the P45?