Questions from our Forum 30/05/2011Thursday, May 26th, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
My client (I do their book-keeping) is a musical theatre dance agency and we have a problem with a foreign shoot in South Africa – we have a self employed actor (UK based and resident) and he is currently working on a UK production. Whilst in the UK there is no tax deducted (tax code NT W1) but he filmed in South Africa for 3 weeks and there was a deduction for “South Africa Witholding Tax 15%” – can he claim this back?
Also the same question for a dancer working in Germany or France? If “local” tax is deducted can this be reclaimed?
Further questions from our forum:
- When employees are transferred under TUPE, should be given Part 1A of the P45?
- If employees buy their company car, can the net book value be used as the market value? If the cars were sold back to the supplier and the employees buy the car from the supplier, does that make a difference?
- If an employee has “bought” extra holiday in a flex scheme, can any unused holiday at termination be refunded and, if so, what are the tax and NICs issues?
- If an employee with a company-provided Blackberry pays for private usage, does it have to be reported on PllD?
- Can payslips be issued to part-timers after they have been paid when they are next at work?
- If an employee claims a mileage payment in this tax year that should have been claimed in the last tax year, does the 40P or 45p allowance apply?
- An employee gives notice to leave but the employer asks her to leave immediately. What are the notice pay requirements?
- Our employee’s argue that the advisory fuel rates are too low. How do we make a case to HMRC for calculating our own scale rates. If we go on using HMRC’s rates, can employees claim tax relief?
- An employee is sending us sick notes from Poland in Polish? Do we have to pay SSP if we don’t know what the sick note says?
- An employee’s fit note proposes a return to work for one day each week. How is SSP calculated for the other days?