Questions from our Forum 23/05/2011Thursday, May 19th, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
We have a number of P9D employes, who have been given taxi rides home at the end of late night shifts for their own safety. We have to record these and if they add up to over £25 per employee, issue a P9D. How do we measure this if say, 3 employees share a taxi home and get dropped off at different points, is it acceptable to just divide the bill by 3? I am asking as we may have to do this more frequently in the future.
Further questions from our forum:
- An employee is to receive an allowance, backdated for 2 years. Can we recalculate his tax and NICs retrospectively so he does not pay more in this tax year?
- Can my employer deduct an overpayment of wages if he has failed to write to me after discovering it 7 months ago?
- How are average earnings calculated for SMP purposes if the employee transferred from monthly to weekly pay during the relevant period?
- A former employee left our employment 6 years ago and is now going onto our pension payroll. Should we use tax code 0T or the emergency tax code on a W1/M1 basis?
- A UK employee is working temporarily in Jersey for 6 months. What are the tax and NICs issues?
- An employee started paid maternity leave in February but is now expecting another baby in December. What further SMP and leave entitlements will she have?
- An employee left in March but received an extra payment after the start of the tax year. The P45 was issued by our service provider in the new tax year and shows a leaving date of 6/4/11 instead of the actual leaving date in March. Is this correct?