Questions From our Forum 17/03/11Friday, March 18th, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
The question I was asked and am asking you is “am I liable to pay them the extra that they were entitled to from 1st April 2009?”
Further questions from our forum:
- I am going on maternity leave soon but my employer requires me to pay for the additional holiday entitlement I chose under the flex scheme. Can they do that? The maternity policy also says that I will be paid up any holiday I can’t take in the holiday year. Can they do that?
- Is a payment under a compromise agreement taxable if the employee is not leaving?
- I need help in understanding how tax relief works in the case of our various pension schemes. Have I got the details right? (information provided)
- My company is closing and I am unlikely to be paid for my final month’s work. I am being threatened with legal action if I leave early, even though my employer is in breach of contract in not paying me. What options do I have?
- An employee entitled to a company car only wants to use it on occasional days. How should we report this on P11D?
- We have recently sold a company minibus to an employee. Is there any tax liability? The “paypershop” guidance seems to conflict with HMRC’s.
- What is involved in the payroll operation of a childcare voucher scheme?
- In the US we deduct “overtaken” holiday from regular pay. Can we do that in the UK?
- When work is performed partly in the 2010/11 tax year and partly in the 2011/12 tax year, how are the correct tax rates applied?
- I worked unpaid in a job when I left school alongside others who were being paid. I worked long hours and in appalling conditions. Can I now make a claim for payment? (more information provided)
- An employee on maternity leave is entitled to a car allowance of £250 and has now joined the childcare voucher salary sacrifice scheme to receive £250 of vouchers each month. Can the vouchers be offset against the car allowance?
- A bonus is to be paid to a former employee who has transferred under TUPE to another employer. The payment is being made in the next tax year. How are the NICs calculated?
- If a pension is overpaid, what is the position if it is not recovered, and how and when should the tax position be corrected?
- Our annual pay review gave a 2.5% rise other than for those who had a pay rise in the previous six months. We had a pay rise in that period to bring our pay in line with our colleagues. Are we entitled to the annual increase?
- If a woman is sick when she is due to return from maternity leave and we have agreed for her to work part-time on her return, should her sick pay be paid at her part-time salary?
- What do employers do with P45s in a TUPE situation? Should Parts 1A, 2 and 3 be given to the employees?