Questions from our forum 21/01/11Friday, January 21st, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
We are all part time employees and we are paid on the 15th of each month in 12 equal payments.
On Tuesday 23rd November, after finishing work, one of our employees who works, half day on Monday (3 hours) and full days on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (6 hours)handed in her resignation. Her letter stated that she was giving two weeks notice with a last day of working as 2nd December. As she had holidays and flexi she said she would not be returning to work.
We have an employee currently working for us in the UK under an employment visa, which expires in February. We are trying to get this renewed but are so far struggling. If we cannot get it renewed this employee would need to return to Australia.
If the employee had to return to Australia we would ideally like them to stay with the Company as a freelancer working from Australia. Does anyone know what implications there are for this arrangement? I assume this individual would invoice us and us pay them, then it would be their responsility to make the local tax arrangements but is this correct?
I was querying whether or not I can opt out of e-payslips based on the fact that the DWP, banks and other bodies will only accept official wage slips and not computer print outs. I wonder if the employers have taken this into account when setting the system up.
Further questions from our forum:
- What do we do if a temp does not have enough holiday accrual to pay for a bank holiday?
- If an employee is paid full salary during maternity leave, can we treat the payments as SMP and recover the appropriate amount?
- What are the State Second Pension bandings for 2011/12?
- Automatic pension enrolment 2012
- HMRC is demanding repayment of tax when they told me I was entitled to reclaim it. Is it my employer’s fault?
- I work in the UK for an Ireland company and I have been calculating my own tax and NICs. I understand I cannot do that now – what is the current situation?
- An employee works away for a client all week and we pay a daily meal allowance. What is the reporting requirement?
- A new start-up company has paid advances to new employees for three months and now has to calculate the pay correctly and recover the advances. How should this be done?
- We have reimbursed an employee’s professional membership fee. What is the P11D reporting requirement?