Questions from our forum 28/01/11Friday, January 28th, 2011
Each week we receive a number of payroll questions on our forum, and here are this week’s batch. Can you help with any answers?
One of our employees, who is currently on maternity leave, has asked for information on our childcare voucher scheme (I think she’s keen to join before 06/04/11 to take advantage of the current tax exemptions).
However she is only currently receiving SMP. Can she still join whilst on maternity leave even though she is not receiving a salary at the moment and therefore has nothing to sacrifice?
Further questions from our forum:
- An employee who is Canadian works for a US company in Japan. How should payroll and withholding taxes be handled?
- An employee has caused £300 worth of damage and his boss wants to recover the money from his wages. Can we do that if the employee authorises the deduction?
- An employer pay a pension allowance to an employee, with tax and NICs deducted, for the employee to pay into his pension scheme. Could the employer make the payments direct to the scheme without deducting tax and NICs?
- An employee is transferring under TUPE to another employer. Can we also simply transfer his two court orders to the new employer?
- I have a full-time job and also run my own business. My accountant wants me to get my employer to pay my salary gross, but my employer says that is not allowed. What is the situation?