Changes to P46(Car) reporting from April 2011Wednesday, October 20th, 2010
HMRC has published updated technical guidance for payroll system developers on expenses and benefits reporting, relating to online submissions of forms P11D, P9D and P11D(b) for the 2010/11 tax year, and form P46(Car) from the start of the 2011/12 tax year.
There are no changes being made to P11D, P9D and P11d(b) reporting.
The key change to P46(Car) reporting from April 2011 is the reintroduction of the provision of a replacement car as one of the five reasons for completing the form. The five reasons are:
- the provision of a first car
- the provision of a replacement car
- the provision of an additional car
- the change in the employee’s status from a P9D employee to a P11D employee (i.e. the employee’s earnings rate reaches £8,500 or the employee becomes a director)
- a car is withdrawn.
Another significant change reflects the new car benefit charge structure from April 2011. The P46(Car) form will no longer accept the following fuel types:
- P petrol
- H hybrid electric and petrol
- B bi-fuel petrol and road fuel gas, with emissions rating for gas, and road fuel gas only
- C bi-fuel petrol and road fuel gas, with emissions rating for petrol
- G bioethanol
- L diesel, Euro 4 compliant.
The only permitted fuel types from April 2011 are
- A petrol, hybrid electric and petrol, bi-fuel, road fuel gas only, bioethanol
- E zero-emission, including electric
- D diesel, all types
These changes to P46(Car) reporting will only affect P11D reporting from April 2012 when benefits and expenses for 2011/12 have to be reported.
And, just in passing, online filing now allows cars with a reportable value in excess of £1 million to be reported!