Discipline and Grievance Code of Practice – Acas consults on new guidance for employersMonday, June 23rd, 2008
At the beginning of May, Acas published a draft Code of Practice on discipline and grievance in employment. The code is being revised to take into account the changes being made to workplace dispute resolution procedures by the Employment Bill, currently before Parliament, in particular the removal of the statutory dismissal and discipline procedures.
To support the Code of Practice, Acas has now issued draft non-statutory guidance on handling discipline and grievances in the workplace. The 74-page document provides detailed information for employers on such aspects as:
- developing rules and procedures
- using outside mediation
- preparing for and holding a disciplinary meeting
- the right of the employee to be accompanied
- dismissal and other sanctions
- what is gross misconduct
- written reasons for dismissal
- informal resolution of grievances
- preparing for and holding a grievance meeting
- sample disciplinary and grievance procedures.
Acas is inviting written comments from interested parties and the deadline submission date is 25 July 2008.
The UK Payroll News is sponsored by HRD & Payroll Solutions